There is always HOPE

There is always HOPE

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Devotion- Shedding Dead Weight

Shedding Dead Weight

This morning has been the beginning to the perfect Saturday. The kids are playing nicely and getting along in the background. Derek is home. I'm having a coffee at my computer after a workout. To me that is a perfect Saturday.

I always love to share what is burning on my heart. You can follow the story in the Bible 1Samuel 16 &17

In this season that I am constantly needing to tame my restless heart. I am reminded of the story of David in the Bible.

He has been anointed by Samuel. The very unlikely brother. Samuel came to visit and anoint one of Jesse's sons. When the first son- tall, handsome, svelte looking boy stood before Samuel, Samuel said "Surely the Lords anointed the one who stands here before the Lord" (1Sam 16:6). Nope. Seven very qualified boys were brought before Samuel, and God said no to them all. When Samuel said "Are these all the sons you have?" (1 Sam. 16:11)Jesse (the father) said "No, there is still the youngest, but he's out attending the sheep." OK let's just stop here for a minute. This spoke to me because even though David wasn't present, he still didn't miss out from his anointing. When God has called you to do something for His kingdom, He'll appoint, anoint you at the appropriate time. This verse really jumped out to me because I can get so afraid that I have "missed the boat". But when we are dealing with God's time, there is no such thing.

At this time Israel and the Philistines were at war. David's three older brothers went to fight for Saul. Jesse, David's father ordered him to go and bring his brothers some lunch. When David observed that Goliath would come out and taunt the Israelites and mock the Living God, this enraged him. He asked his brothers what would be given to the man who defeats this man. His older brother lashes out at him with jealousy and rage. He calls him conceited, and that David has a wicked heart. (1Sam. 17:28). News gets carried to Saul that David wants to fight Goliath. Saul looks at David and tells him but you are just a boy!!! Saul begins to dress David with his own armor. David tries it on, but realizes he cannot even walk around.  David replies, " I cannot go in these, I am not used to them." So he took them off. Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd's bag and with his sling in his hand approached the Philistine. (1Sam 17:38-40).

I don't know about you, but I have tried to put on someone else's "armor". I tired it on, walked around in it, sometimes it took me longer to realize it, but eventually I realized that their armor didn't fit me. I have had people think, and speak words of death to me out of rage and jealousy, words just like David's jealous brother. However I wished I had the confidence like David did, and turn away from his brother, and talk to someone else. But instead I had provided a fertile ground for these words to take seed and grow.

Well I have shed other's armor, and I have taken all the (death words) "weeds" by the root and YANKED them out. I have replaced them with the life-giving words from the Living Word- the Bible. Through The Word, God has showed me to use it has a mirror. The reflection that I see is very different from how I used to see myself. Because I believe, and think differently.

I encourage you be brave, and confident enough to shed the "cloaks" that others may be trying to put on you. If you are feeling confined, restless, and unable to move, ask God to reveal why you are feeling this way.  Believe in the gifts, and talents, that God has imprinted in you, and walk freely, unafraid, and unchained. When we know that if God is for us, who can come against us, we can confidently slay the "BIG" giant in the name of "The living God". (vs 47).. and all this assembly shall know that the Lord saves not with sword and spear: for the battle is the Lord's and He will give you into our hands." When we remember Who is the One that defeats our giants, and when we put on HIS armor, we are undeniably undefeatable.

No comments: