There is always HOPE

There is always HOPE

Saturday, April 20, 2013

How God is using ordinary, simple me

My desire and cry is to do extraodinary things and be a world changer. Well that sounds exciting, thrilling, and fulfilling. I would like to paint you a picture of what that looks like in my life.

I'm not going across seas to help orphans, or save babies (although someday I would love to meet our sponsor children in India and Rwanda) I'm not part of an organization that fights for social justice (which I humbly stand up and applaud all that do).

I am a stay at home mom. I have four boys that I am responsible for. My husband I will have to one day release them into the world to make a difference. To make this world a better place somehow. This quote by Andy Stanley "Your greatest contribution to the kingdom of God may not be something you do but someone you raise" really stopped me in my tracks. I have interpreted this as both biological and spiritual. Derek and I have four biological children, and we also have spiritual children,which we both feel responsible to mentor and speak life with the word of God into their lives.

I was at a girl friends house the other night having a glass of wine with her and LISTENING to her. I was able to RELATE, and offer some insight and just speak life into her situation. We both left that night feeling encouraged, and empowered.

What is my point here? I believe we start doing extraordinary things through the relationships that we have., and by making NEW relationships. Jesus's great commission in Mathew 28:16-20 16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

So how do we do that? I'm so glad that you asked. We as Christians need the body of Christ, we need the Church. But before we introduce people to the "building church" we need to introduce ourselves and BE the church. I know what it's like to be so consumed with church meetings, and commitments that it inhibits me to be able to get "out there". Commitments and serving the House is very important. But please let's not lose focus on what is the soul purpose of serving the house. It's about people. It's introducing people to Jesus. I want to make Jesus attractive to others. I don't believe that looks like giving the perception of  a "perfect and flawless" life. I don't believe that portraying that we as Christians have no problems or that we don't need to work through issues of our own is attractive. In fact I think that can create an opposite reaction. Instead of giving out brochures, or tracks, let's BE the brochures and tracks. Meaning be what we preach. Being real. I have days that I have to put myself on a time out for the safety of my other family members! I wear shape wear sometimes underneath my clothes. Shape wear just makes this world a better place! I have issues that I try to work through every day! I need to keep my mind right by refusing to think negative thoughts. I need to stop worrying and caring about what others think of me.

God will use the foolishness of the world to confound the wise. So if you are  a woman you will understand that talking about shape wear, messy houses, shopping, and weird bodily fluids that come out of our children can be meaningful. Do you think that having your theology perfectly right is going to win the lost? Don't get me wrong, theology is important as well as knowing the Word. However I believe that by just entering into someone else's world, and just loving them is far more effective then speaking a foreign language called "Christianese" and speaking a ramble of theology. 

How I thought God was going to use me to do extraordinary things wasn't at all what I expected. For me it's as simple as doing life with people that have come into my life, or my life into theirs. Knowing that I have impacted someones life in a positive way, by simply just being me.. well folks that to me is living an extraordinary life!

No comments: